PHA/AHA Post Doctoral Fellowship Award Winner 2002
Hideyuki Beppu, MD, PhD
Massachusetts General Hospital
Sponsor: En Li, PhD
"The Genetic Basis of PH - Studies in Genetically Modified Mice"
Term: July 1, 2002 - June 30, 2004
Summary of Research Project:
The Genetic Basis of PH - Studies in Genetically Modified Mice
We have been studying the functional role of BMP type II receptor (BMPR2) using the genetically modified mice of BMPR2. Our goal is to generate the mouse model of primary pulmonary hypertension, and to investigate the molecular mechanism to understand the pathogenesis of the pulmonary hypertension.
- 1988-1994: School of Medicine, Kagoshima University (Japan)
- 1994: MD
- 1995-1999: Department of Biochemistry, Cancer Institute, Tokyo, Japan (Supervised by Prof. Kohei Miyazono)
- 1998: PhD
- 1999-2004: Postdoctoral reseach fellow, Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School (Supervised by Drs. En Li and Kenneth D. Bloch)
- 2004-Present: Instructor in Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School
Other Published Articles
- Song, Y., Jones, J. E., Beppu, H., Keaney, J. F., Jr., Loscalzo, J., Zhang, Y. Y. Increased susceptibility to pulmonary hypertension in heterozygous BMPR2-mutant mice. Circulation 2005; 112:553-562.
- Yu, P. B., Beppu, H., Kawai, N., Li, E., Bloch, K. D. BMP type II receptor deletion reveals BMP ligand-specific gain of signaling in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem 2005; 280:24443-24450.
- Beppu, H., Lei, H., Bloch, K. D. Li, E. Generation of a floxed allele of the mouse BMP type II receptor gene. Genesis 2005; 41;133-137.
- Beppu, H., Ichinose, F., Kawai, N., Jones, R. C., Yu, P. B., Zapol, W. M., Miyazono, K., Li, E. Bloch, K. D. BMPR-II heterozygous mice have mild pulmonary hypertension and an impaired pulmonary vascular remodeling response to prolonged hypoxia. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2004; 287:L1241-1247.