The most recent issue of Pathlight magazine launches PHA’s 30th anniversary year in 2021. The December 2020 issue includes stories of the association’s early days, the journeys of long-time survivors and advances in PH research.
Here’s a sample of what’s inside:
1. The cover story includes first-person accounts from Gwendolyn Brown, Alex Flipse and Diane Ramirez, who share their journeys from diagnosis in the 1980s and 1990s to present day. They discuss how they found strength, resilience and their voices.
2. In a companion article, Ivan Robbins, M.D., of Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, shares how pulmonary hypertension (PH) treatment and research have evolved over the course of his career.
3. In “Flolan at 25,” Jeanette Morrill of Maine and JoAnn Volpe of Connecticut describe how the first treatment for PH offered them a second chance at life. Murali Chakinala, M.D, chair of the Pulmonary Hypertension Association’s Scientific Leadership Council says Flolan “provided the first real hope that PH patients had.”
4. In “Beating the Odds,” Donna Head, 59, of Alabama, tells the story of finding love, living life to the fullest and continually moving forward since first noticing PH symptoms in 1988.
5. Friends and family of PHA founder Pat Paton share memories of Pat in the tribute article, “Vision for Patients.” We talked to Judy Simpson, Rino Aldrighetti, members of PHA’s board and Scientific Leadership Committee.
6. Jane Leopold, M.D., discusses a study that aims to identify biomarkers that could improve PH diagnosis and treatment. Funded by PHA, the National Institutes of Health and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and PHA, “Redefining Pulmonary Hypertension through Pulmonary Vascular Disease Phenomics (PVDOMICS),” could upend current PH classifications based on cause.
These stories and other inspiring content are available only in Pathlight magazine, a benefit of your Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) membership. If you’re not a PHA member, join today to enjoy Pathlight, reduced PHA 2022 Conference rates and more.
Choose the membership category best for you. By joining at the Supporter, Leadership or Champion level, you support PHA’s patient programs, including PHA On the Road educational forums and PHA support groups. To join by phone, call 301-565-3004 x810.
If you haven’t received your December issue, keep watching your mail. Unfortunately, holiday mail volume and pandemic-related issues have delayed magazines and other items sent at nonprofit rates.