The federal government shutdown disrupts business as usual for Congress and many federal agencies. Fortunately, however, there are some critical government activities that are able to continue. During a shutdown:
- Medicare recipients may continue to see their healthcare providers and have their claims submitted
- Social security benefit checks will still be mailed, though there may be delays in responding to questions about new applications
- Authorities will still enforce laws and respond to emergencies and mail will continued to be delivered
- The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and child nutrition programs will continue to operate for now
- Unemployment benefits will continue because they are managed on the state level
- Individuals applying for a federal grant must still meet the stated deadline
PHA will provide continued updates about the status of federal health and human services programs that may impact PH community members.