As the field of pulmonary hypertension expands, sometimes issues arise where clinicians or scientists in the field desire additional guidance based on the currently available evidence, or in some cases, lack of published research on a particular subject. In those instances, PHA’s Scientific Leadership Council (SLC) convenes to analyze the issue, and from those interactions, Consensus Statements are developed.
The following statements on pulmonary hypertension medical issues were developed by the Education Committee of the SLC or its leadership, and were reviewed and approved by the SLC membership.
- Acute Vasodilator Testing (February 2018)
- Elective Surgery (February 2018)
- Recommendations on Over-the-Counter Medications in Patients with PAH (February 2018)
- Recommendations for Patient Referral to a PH Specialist (February 2018)
- Revatio (sildenafil) for Pediatric Use (September 2012)
- Statement on Stem Cell Clinical Trials (May 2009)
- Genetic Testing and Counseling for Idiopathic and Familial Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH) (November 2008)
- Recommendations for Exercise in Patients with PAH (November 2008)
- Lung Transplantation in Patients with Pulmonary Hypertension (March 2003)
- Birth Control and Hormonal Therapy in PAH (July 2002)
The SLC has also prepared Treatment Fact Sheets for information on specific PAH therapies.
PHA appreciates the work of the SLC’s Education Committee in preparing and maintaining these documents. Originally developed by former Education Committee Chair Ivan Robbins, MD, they are annually reviewed and updated (if necessary) by the SLC Education Committee.