Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute
Pulmonary Vascular Disease Program
Galter Pavilion, 19th Floor, Suite 100
675 North Saint Clair Street
Chicago, Ill. 60611
Northwestern Medicine’s Pulmonary Vascular Disease Program at the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute is a comprehensive clinical and research program devoted to patients with all forms of pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary vascular disease. Established in 2009, the program underwent a major expansion in 2015 when it combined expertise and leadership from three established national referral centers for pulmonary hypertension: Northwestern Memorial Hospital, The University of Chicago, and Henry Ford Hospital. The combined experience of the physician staff now exceeds 71 years, and represents a combined cooperative effort of the cardiology and pulmonary medical specialties. In addition, there is formal collaboration with 7 separate clinical specialties and with the Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago to provide advanced care in all aspects of pulmonary vascular disease for patients of every age. One unique feature of this program is it’s pioneering of interventional treatments, including atrial septostomy, lung transplantation, pulmonary endarterectomy and balloon pulmonary angioplasty, emergency extracorporeal support for patients in shock, and the development of right ventricular assist devices for patients refractory to all other treatments.
The research program includes multicenter clinical trials, and studies of the genetic features of disease. In addition, Dr. Rich is leading an international effort to establish a Precision Medicine Approach to Pulmonary Vascular Disease for the future development of novel therapies.
PH Program Physicians
- Stuart Rich, MD (Director)
- Michael Cuttica, MD (Co-Director)
- Sanjiv Shah, MD
- Jonathan Rich, MD
- Hector Cajigas, MD
- Jacquelynne Messinger, RN, MSN, APN
Duration of Program’s Existence
- Since 2009
Number of PAH Patients Being Actively Managed
Number of Patients on IV/SQ Therapy
Support Services Available – Inpatient
- Cardiology and Pulmonary intensive care and stepdown units
- Full time dedicated PVD faculty inpatient service
- Dedicated Advanced Nurse
- Pulmonary embolism response team (National founding member)
- SHOCK team for emergency ECMO and RVAD (National member)
- Interventional radiology for chronic indwelling intravenous line placement
- Atrial septostomy
- Pulmonary endarterectomy (International member)
- Balloon pulmonary angioplasty
Support Services Available – Outpatient
- Daily clinics at the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute
- Collaborative affiliation with the pulmonary hypertension program at the Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
- Two dedicated staff nurses
- Dedicated clinical coordinator
- Designated affiliated faculty in medical specialties including:
- Adult congenital heart disease
- Cardiovascular Imaging
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Interventional Radiology
- Interventional Cardiology
Do You Provide Access to Clinical Trials
- Number of Current Clinical Trials: 6
- Number of prior trials/studies in the past 10 years: 28
Stuart Rich, M.D.
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- 1974 – MD – Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
- 1970 – BS – University of Illinois
Biology, High Honors
- 1978-1980 – Fellowship, Cardiology, The University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics, Chicago, Ill.
- 1976-1978 – Residency, Internal Medicine, The Jewish Hospital at Washington University, St. Louis, Mo.
- 1975-1976 – Internship, Internal Medicine, The Jewish Hospital at Washington University, St. Louis, Mo.
Current Faculty Appointments
- 2015-present – Professor of Medicine-Cardiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Ill.
Current Hospital and Administrative Appointments
- 2015-present – Director, Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute, Pulmonary Vascular Disease Program, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Ill.
- 2016 – Living Legend, American College of Cardiology
- 2015 – Lifetime Achievement Award, Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute
- 2014 – Heart for Hope Legacy Award, Pulmonary Hypertension Association
- Click here for recent pulmonary hypertension publications by Dr. Rich.
Jacquelynne W. Messinger, RN, MSN, APN
- Advance Practice Nurse
- 2011 – MSN – University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Ill.
- 2002 – BSN – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- 1996 – BS – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
Current Professional Experience
- 2016-present – Nurse Practitioner, Pulmonary Vascular Service, Northwestern Medical Group, Chicago, Ill.
New and established patients interested in making an appointment with the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute at Northwestern Memorial Hospital can do so by contacting:
- Telephone: (312) 695-2385 or (312) NM-HEART