Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic
600 Gresham Drive
1st Floor Heart Hospital
Norfolk, Va. 23507
The Pulmonary Hypertension (PH) Program was founded in 2004 by Dr. Michael Eggert and is now located in the Advanced Heart Failure Center in Sentara Heart Hospital. PH patients are cared for in a series of dedicated rooms in the AHFC by staff who are dedicated to the program, including registered nurses, medical assistant, social workers, dieticians, and financial counselors.
PH Program Physicians
- Michael Eggert, MD (Medical Director)
- Randy Garnett, MD
- John Herre, MD
- Vanessa Knowles, MSN, APRN, FNP-C
Duration of Program’s Existence
- Since 2004
Number of PAH Patients Being Actively Managed
Number of Patients on IV/SQ Therapy
Support Services Available
- Anticoagulation Services
- Cardiac Anesthesia
- Central Line Placement and Repair
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Lung Transplant Program
- On-Call Pulmonary/Cardiology Service (24/7)
- Palliative Care
- Pulmonary/Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy (PTE)
- Social Work
Michael S. Eggert, MD, FCCP
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease
- Critical Care Medicine
- 1993 – MD – The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- 1989 – BA – Duke University, Durham, N.C.
BA with Distinction in History
Chemistry with Biological Specialization
- 2000-2001 – Chief Fellow, Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Ala.
- 1998-2001 – Fellowship, Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Ala.
- 1995-1997 – Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine and Shands, Gainesville, Fla.
- 1994-1995 – Internship, Internal Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine and Shands, Gainesville, Fla.
- 1994 – Internship, Psychiatry, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
Current Hospital and Administrative Appointments
- 2012-Present – Medical Director, Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Program and Clinic, Sentara Heart Hospital
- 2012-Present – Supervising Physician, Extender and MidLevel Care, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Sentara Medical Group
- Click here for recent pulmonary hypertension publications by Dr. Eggert.
Vanessa L. Knowles, MSN, APRN, FNP-C
- Nurse Practitioner
- 2016 – NP – Old Dominion University – Norfolk, VA
- 2013 – BSN – Sentara College of Health Sciences – Chesapeake, VA
Current Professional Experience
- 2017-present – Clinical Coordinator, Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic, Norfolk, Va.
New and established patients interested in making an appointment with the Sentara Norfolk General Hospital Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic can do so by contacting:
- Telephone: (757) 388-9138 | Option 1