St. Vincent Hospital
St. Vincent Pulmonary Hypertension Program
2001 W. 86th St
Indianapolis, IN 46260
The St. Vincent Pulmonary Hypertension program began in the fall of 2013 under the leadership and direction of Dr. Ashwin Ravichandran. Dr. Ravichandran is an advanced heart failure and pulmonary hypertension (PH) physician and the primary lead physician for the program. The Pulmonary Hypertension Program has a dyad executive leadership team comprised of St. Vincent Health and the Heart Center of Indiana, thus offering two locations for outpatient therapies. Inpatient therapies are offered solely at the St. Vincent Indianapolis campus. St. Vincent Hospital is a level 1 trauma center with 530 beds located in Indianapolis, Ind. It holds Joint Commission Disease Specific Certifications for destination therapy VAD and is recognized for the largest volume of adult heart transplants in Indiana for 2015-2018 calendar years. One of our strengths is providing a monthly combined clinic with Dr. Ravichandran and a pulmonologist consultant for complex referrals and continued follow up. We also pride ourselves in now being able to offer pulmonary thromboendarterectomy surgery in collaboration with our VAD/transplant surgeon, Dr. Christopher Salerno.
PH Program Physicians
- Ashwin Ravichandran, M.D., M. P. H., FACC (center director)
- John Simala, M.D.
- Christopher Salerno, M.D.
- Edward Mintz, M.D.
- Ann Schmit, R.N.
Duration of Program’s Existence
- Since 2013
Number of PAH Patients Being Actively Managed
Number of Patients on IV/SQ Therapy
Support Services Available
- On-Call Pulmonary/Cardiology Service (24/7)
- Cardiac Anesthesia
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Social Work
- Palliative Care
- Pulmonary/Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy (PTE)
- Central Line Placement and Repair Services
- Anticoagulation Services
Ashwin Ravichandran, M.D., M. P. H., FACC
- Internal Medicine; Advanced Heart Failure & Transplant Cardiology
- 2006 – MD – University of Minnesota Medical School, Twin Cities, MN
- 2006 – MPH – University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Twin Cities, MN
- 2001 – BS – University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, MN
- 2013 – Fellow, Advanced Heart Failure/Transplant Fellowship, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis
- 2009 – Resident, Internal Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center, Chicago
- 2014-present – Associate Program Director, Advanced Heart Failure Fellowship, St. Vincent Medical Group
Current Hospital and Administrative Appointments
- 2012- present – Director, Pulmonary Hypertension, St. Vincent Medical Group, Indianapolis, IN
- 2012- present – Medical Director, Cardiac Rehabilitation, St. Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis, IN
- 2012-present – Key Clinical Faculty, Cardiovascular Medicine Fellowship, St. Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis, IN
- Click here for recent pulmonary hypertension publications by Dr. Ravichandran.
Ann K. Schmit, RN
- Registered Nurse
- 2003 – BSN – Marian College, Indianapolis, IN
Current Professional Experience
- 2016-present – Pulmonary Hypertension Coordinator, Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic, St. Vincent Medical Group, Indianapolis, IN
New and established patients interested in making an appointment with the Pulmonary Hypertension Program at St. Vincent Hospital can do so by contacting:
- Telephone: 317-338-6242