University of Maryland
Pulmonary Vascular Disease Program
110 South Paca Street
Baltimore, Md. 21201
The pulmonary hypertension program at the University of Maryland has a long, rich history. The program was founded by pioneering physician and pulmonologist Dr. Lou Rubin in the 1980’s, and was the first program in Maryland to use intravenous epoprostenol. The program has evolved over the subsequent decades, into a truly interdisciplinary endeavor between cardiovascular and pulmonary medicine. University of Maryland is the first program in the Maryland to perform pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE), and has been a pioneer in the field of advanced lung disease, including the use of ECMO and lung transplantation in complex pulmonary hypertension. We remain on the cutting edge of new medical and surgical therapies in pulmonary hypertension.
PH Program Physicians
- Gautam Ramani, MD (Director)
- Manjula Ananthram, MBBS
- Erika Feller MD
- Stacy Fisher, MD
- Khue Ton, MD
- Janaki Deepak, MD
- Loida Johnson, NP
- Jamie Kelly RN
Duration of Program’s Existence
- Since 2005
Number of PAH Patients Being Actively Managed
Number of Patients on IV/SQ Therapy
Support Services Available
- Anticoagulation Services
- Cardiac Anesthesia
- Central Line Placement and Repair
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Lung Transplant Program
- On-Call Pulmonary/Cardiology Service (24/7)
- Palliative Care
- Pulmonary/Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy (PTE)
- Social Work
- Balloon Pulmonary Angioplasty
Gautam V. Ramani, M.D.
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Advanced Heart Failure/Transplantation
- 2000 – MD – Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
- 1996 – BS – The Pennsylvania State University
- 2007-2008 – Fellowship; Congestive Heart Failure, Transplantation, Pulmonary Hypertension; University of Pittsburgh; Pittsburgh, Pa.
- 2004-2007 – Fellowship, Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- 2001-2003 – Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- 2000-2001 – Internship, Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Current Faculty Appointments
- 2008-present – Assistant Professor of Medicine, Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Md.
- 2015 – Cardiovascular Medicine Teacher of the Year
- 2014 – Cardiovascular Medicine Teacher of the Year
- 2013 – Cardiovascular Medicine Teacher of the Year
- 2011 – Cardiovascular Medicine Teacher of the Year
- Click here for recent pulmonary hypertension publications by Dr. Ramani.
Jamie E. Kelly, RN
- Registered Nurse
- 2011 – RN – Community College of Baltimore County, Essex, Md.
- 2001 – BS – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
Animal and Poultry Science
Current Professional Experience
- 2014-present – Pulmonary Hypertension Outpatient Nurse Coordinator, University of Maryland Faculty Physicians, Baltimore, Md.
Loida Johnson NP
- Nurse Practitioner
- 1999-2001 – Associates in Biology-Health Sciences Option; West Los Angeles City College Culver City CA
- 2001-2003 – RN – Los Angeles Southwest College Los Angeles, CA
- 2005-2007 – BSN – University of Phoenix; Woodland Hills, CA
- 2007-2009 – MSN – Acute Care NP/CNS; UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
Current Professional Experience
- 11/2010-present – CRNP; Pulmonary Hypertension Outpatient Co-Coordinator
University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
New and established patients interested in making an appointment with the University of Maryland Pulmonary Vascular Disease Program can do so by contacting:
- Telephone: (410) 328-7260