University of Utah
Pulmonary Hypertension and Dyspnea Center
50 North Medical Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84132
The University of Utah Pulmonary Hypertension and Dyspnea Center is a comprehensive cardiac and pulmonary medicine collaborative created to fulfill the unmet needs of those with all WHO Groups of pulmonary hypertension as well as those with cryptogenic or complex dyspnea. The Center, located in Salt Lake City, Utah, is a regional referral center covering a massive geographical area with patients in more than 6 states. Dr. Nathan Hatton, pulmonologist, and Dr. John Ryan, cardiologist, are thought leaders collaboratively approaching the relationship between the heart and lungs and pulmonary hypertension to provide the best individualized therapy options and compassionate care. Jennalyn Mayeux and Erin Michaelis are nurse practitioners dedicated to improving the well-being of all our patients. As a major academic medical center we are fortunate to have the expertise of several multidisciplinary specialties and institutional support for research.
PH Program Physicians
- John J. Ryan, M.D. (Co-Medical Director)
- Nathan Hatton, M.D. (Co-Medical Director)
- Jennalyn Mayeux, D.N.P.
- Erin Michaelis, ACNP
Duration of Program’s Existence
- Since 2010
Number of PAH/CTEPH Patients Being Actively Managed
Number of Patients on IV/SQ Therapy
Support Services Available
- CTEPH Program (pulmonary thromboendarterectomy)
- Pulmonary & Cardiac rehabilitation
- Dedicated chest radiology
- Rheumatology, Accredited Scleroderma Program
- Lung Transplant
- Adult Congenital Heart Program
- Cardiac Anesthesia
- 24/7 on-call Cardiology & Pulmonary Services
- Dedicated inpatient/outpatient pharmacists
- Palliative Care
- Social Work
John J. Ryan, M.D., MRCPI, FACC, FAHA
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Adult Comprehensive Echocardiography
- 2004 – MD – University College Cork School of Medicine, Cork, Ireland
- 2009-2013 – Fellowship, Cardiology, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Ill.
- 2010-2011 – Chief Cardiology Fellow, University of Chicago, Chicago, Ill.
- 2008-2009 – Chief Medical Resident, Internal Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Mass.
- 2005-2008 – Internship, Internal Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Mass.
- 2004-2005 – Internship, Internal Medicine and General Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Current Faculty Appointments
- 2013-Present – Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
Current Hospital and Administrative Appointments
- 2013-Present – Dyspnea Clinic Director, University of Utah Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Click here for recent pulmonary hypertension publications by Dr. Ryan.
Jennalyn Mayeux, D.N.P.
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- 2012 – DPN – University of Utah
- 2007 – BSN – Utah Valley State College
Current Professional Experience
- 2012-present – Nurse Practitioner – Pulmonary Hypertension & Dyspnea, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Utah
New and established patients interested in making an appointment with the University of Utah Pulmonary Hypertension and Dyspnea Center can do so by contacting:
- Telephone: (801) 585-7676