Last August, I made my first congressional visits. I was so nervous that I would forget what I wanted to say but once I started talking that changed. I was able to tell my story and talk about how important it is for PH patients to get proper care … The more of a voice we have, the more understanding everyone else will have. We just have to be heard. – Thekla McGinley, Central Arkansas PH Support Group Leader.
During August and the fall, members of Congress leave Capitol Hill and work from their home states. They focus on learning about issues that matter to their constituents and how Congress can help. During “Advocacy August,” let the Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) connect you with your senators and representative.
PHA staff are available to help:
- Invite members of Congress to attend your next support group meeting or tour a pulmonary hypertension (PH) medical program.
- Schedule an in-person meeting at a local legislative office in your state.
- Schedule a planned phone call to “meet” legislative staff without leaving home.
- Provide talking points and materials for you to use during your visit.
- Provide one-on-one coaching to help you prepare for your visit.
Members of Congress tackle dozens of issues each day and their staff members are constantly changing. August is a great time to ensure your senators and representatives remember the unique needs of life with PH, from charitable assistance to step therapy and more.
Congressional schedules fill up fast, so plan your August advocacy now! Use this web form to get started, or if you have questions, contact Katie at gro.noitaicossAHP@ycacovdA or 301-565-3004 x749.